TV Rewind: ‘Community’ Gets Shuffled, DeVito Splits, Louis C.K. Opts For Hiatus
By Rachel Bennett
Television Editor & Columnist
Every Friday, Rachel recaps the week’s major TV-related news, announcements and gossip!
* * *
• “Troy and Abed” Move to Wednesdays? NBC’s Community and Whitney will no longer premiere Friday, Oct. 19. — here’s hoping they are shuffled to the middle of the week!
• One of TV’s longest-lasting couples, Danny DeVito (NBC’s Taxi) and Rhea Perlman (NBC’s Cheers), have decided to separate following 30 years of marriage.
• FX’s Louie creator, writer, director, producer, star and editor Louis C. K. is taking an extended hiatus, which means the comedy won’t return until 2014. I wonder why he needs a break…
• Scream star Neve Campbell is checking into ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy. She will play one of Derek’s (Patrick Dempsey) sisters for at least two episodes.
• The first TV casualty of the season is here: CBS’s Made in Jersey has been canceled after two episodes.
• Fox has ordered additional episodes of its new comedies Ben and Kate and The Mindy Project, giving them each full seasons.
• Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line) is producing a contemporary version of the Charles Dickens novel Great Expectations, which will be titled Expectations, for The CW.
• NBC’s Dracula series has tapped Daniel Knauf (the creator of HBO’s Carnivàle) to run the series, which will star Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Showtime’s The Tudors) as the titular character.
• The 10th season of daytime talk show Ellen earned its highest ratings ever when it premiered last month.
• ABC Family’s The Secret Life Of The American Teenager will end with its current fifth season.
• Although NBC has passed on making its The Munsters reboot, Mockingbird Lane, a series, it will air the pilot as a Halloween special.
COMINGS AND GOINGS
• Last week, we reported that Miley Cyrus (Disney Channel’s Hannah Montana) was being considered for History and Lifetime’s miniseries Bonnie & Clyde. As of this week, however, she’s no longer in negotiations for the part.
• HBO’s Deadwood star Ian McShane is stopping by FX’s American Horror Story: Asylum to “tussle” with co-star Jessica Lange.
• Angela Kinsey (The Office) and Rachael Harris (The Hangover) will star in the pilot Dirty Blondes, which received a put pilot commitment from Fox.
• USA’s White Collar star Matt Bomer will guest star on NBC’s The New Normal as the ex-boyfriend of Bryan (Andrew Rannells).
• Dolph Lundgren (The Expendables) is set to star in Rescue 3, an action drama that will debut in 2013 on Tribune stations. Lundgren will play “a reluctant hero and career firefighter and lifeguard who leads a specialized unit comprised of experts in air, fire and water rescue.”
• The Three Stooges‘ Chris Diamantopoulos will show up for “a handful of episodes” of the new season of Netflix’s Arrested Development.
• ABC’s Good Morning America anchor Robin Roberts is home after undergoing a bone-marrow transplant last month. We wish her well.
• Following the DeVito-Perlman separation, here’s some happier relationship news: Amber Tamblyn (CBS’s Joan of Arcadia) and David Cross (Arrested Development) are married.
• Despite reports that judge Nicki Minaj is leaving Fox’s American Idol, she’ll be around to fight another day with fellow judge Mariah Carey.
• Rumors are swirling that Colton Haynes, the star of MTV’s Teen Wolf, is leaving the drama. Though MTV is denying the claims, Haynes tweeted on Oct. 11, “These past few yrs have been the best of my life. I’m sad that this chapter has ended, but excited for a new one to begin. Thx for the love.”
• Take a bite out of these season four pictures of The CW’s The Vampire Diaries.
• Check out the first five minutes of American Horror Story: Asylum, which debuts Oct. 17.
• Why is Jack (Nick Wechsler) crying in these pictures from this season’s fourth episode of ABC’s Revenge? Could something be wrong with his unborn child?
• The third season of AMC’s The Walking Dead bows this Sunday, so here are some pictures from the set to get you excited.
FRIDAY FUN: Parks and Recreation‘s Nick Offerman + Singing = The best way to start your weekend.
Tags: ABC, ABC Family, Amber Tamblyn, AMC, American Horror Story: Asylum, American Idol, Andrew Rannells, Arrested Development, Ben and Kate, Bonnie & Clyde, Carnivàle, CBS, Charles Dickens, Cheers, Chris Diamantopoulos, Colton Haynes, Community, Daniel Knauf, Danny DeVito, David Cross, Deadwood, Dirty Blondes, Disney Channel, Dolph Lundgren, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Dracula, Ellen, Expectations, Fox, FX, Good Morning America, Great Expectations, Grey's Anatomy, Hamish Linklater, Hannah Montana, HBO, Ian McShane, Jessica Lange, Jim O’Heir, Joan of Arcadia, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Louie, Louis C.K., Made in Jersey, Mariah Carey, Matt Bomer, Megan Mullally, Miley Cyrus, Mockingbird Lane, NBC, Netflix, Neve Campbell, Nick Offerman, Nick Wechsler, Nicki Minaj, Parks and Recreation, Party Down, Patrick Dempsey, Rachael Harris, Reese Witherspoon, Revenge, Rhea Perlman, Robin Roberts, Scream, Starz, Taxi, Teen Wolf, The CW, The Expendables, The Good Wife, The Hangover, The Mindy Project, The Munsters, The New Adventures of Old Christine, The New Normal, The Office, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, The Three Stooges, The Tudors, The Vampire Diaries, The Walking Dead, Tribune, USA, Walk the Line, White Collar, Whitney